Tobacco & Vape Regulations
For any business owner it is important to stay compliant with rules and regulations, and in the Tobacco and Vape industry this is especially true. At SnowShoe we want to make sure our customers who use Spark Loyalty remain compliant with their reward program. Here are some guidelines to follow.
The FDA regulates the promotion, sale and distribution of all tobacco and ENDS products classified under the definition of a tobacco product.
Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS) have grown in popularity, and are therefore more heavily regulated and monitored. If you sell e-cigarettes, vape pens, e-hookahs, e-cigars, electronic pipes and/or personal vaporizers please read below:
- Check ID of everyone who attempts to purchase any of the products listed above
- Only sell ENDS to customers 18 years and older
- Do not give away ENDS products for free (including components and parts)
- Do not give away cigarettes or tobacco products for free (including components or parts)
Given the above regulations, we recommend the following:
- Do not have any reward or auto campaign that gives away tobacco or ENDS products for free or close to free (e.g. 30mL House Juice for 1 cent). To be safe, keep any discount for these products at or below a 70% discount.
- NO: Buy 1 E-Liquid Get 1 FREE
- YES: Buy 1 E-Liquid Get 1 70% off
- NO: 100 points, 30mL House Juice for 1 penny
- YES: 100 points, 50% off 30mL House Juice
To read more about these rules and regulations please see references below:
Selling Tobacco Products in Retail Stores: https://www.fda.gov/tobacco-products/retail-sales-tobacco-products/selling-tobacco-products-retail-stores
Small Business Assistance for Tobacco Product Industry: https://www.fda.gov/tobacco-products/compliance-enforcement-training/small-business-assistance-tobacco-product-industry